Monday, December 19, 2005

Computer Scientists

"Bunch of people who are socially uncomfortable, decide to spend their lives with computers." - Anonymous.

My first thought is why do people study computer science ? When there are so many interesting things to study like music, litrature, philosophy, ... list is endless.

why to study something which had nothing to do with humans but has been introduced to pose as improving life of people at the cost of who are behind it. I am trying to contemplate why do people are ready to sacrifice their life for this non-human subject.
Just for the sake of money or to focus on something which can keep them away from normal people. I know I want neither of these things, I want to work with regular people who love to socialize rather than some machine loving morons.

I have chosen to write on Computer Science, but the same may be true for basic sciences field like Mathematics, Physics, etc. So, the question remains, that what kind of satisfaction do people get from studying basic sciences. It is no doubt the most demanding fields to study and people who can excell here are arguably intellectually most competent. But, life is fair in the sense, if it gives you intellectual talent, it takes out the socializing element out of you. It might sound funny but this is so true.

I have been to Computer Science socials, there is different kind of fun I had, I was laughing at people's sense of humour. All the jokes you will hear will have Core Computer Science terminology in it, trust me I dont get even a bit of these. When I am among the Computer Science fraternity, I really fear what a pathetic Computer Science graduate student I am. I dont get along with them, dont understand their jokes, errrrr....., I feel so misplaced.

Yaa, but there are good things to it, they make hell loads amount of money. Life is fair, they are paid for their mechanical lives. So, all those guys who want to study Computer Science, just because it fetches more money than any other profession, think twice !!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi ... I came across your profile on orkut. I was reading thru ur blogs: quite random thoughts :) ... I could associate with this though: I dont find myself in place in CS grad socials. The reasons might be different for us but its true. If you feel like, write to me at: bhatele@gmail.com

- Abhinav