Monday, November 28, 2005

How good is Tit for Tat ?

I have had a lot of attitude problems with many people. So, I write this article as a guideline for myself and if it helps anyone, its certainly cool. Generally we deal differently with different people depending on how other people behave with us. Its like tit for tat, I am going to look into how good is "tit for tat" and more importantly how easy it is to implement it. I am particularly interested in how it is relevant in our daily life.

I dont know for sure how good is it? but I am pretty sure that it is not easy to implement it. And even if you do it, it can have serious affect on your personality. The reason that it is difficult to implement is that you meet so many people and if you moderate your attitude for each of them, then it is really a cumbersome task to do it. Its like updating a table in your brain which remember rules how do you behave. for instance: If situation A -> do something, so on and so forth. This table be exponentially big, hence it is not a good idea to have it. Wont it be great if there is only small set of rules, which describe your behavior. And there should not be any additions to it. Because right and wrong are clearly defined, there is nothing called grey, either it is black or white. All these things have been discussed in length in different religions. I dont want to discuss it here because I will be deviating then. So, if we do some study, it is not hard to have such rules. And they are really simple and I suppose they make life really blissful.

Second big disadvantage of this policy is that it harms your individuality seriously. Its because whatever you are is as a result of how other people have treated you, its like each and everyone person you have met, has dented you and as a result your self has become so disfigured that it is really hard to imagine its real shape. And it is really disgracing to me sometimes why "I" should be the person "they" want me to be, it is a call to be rebillious and not a slave. It is a call to identify your self and stand by it, rather than decieving it. It is never late, but earlier it is better it is.

History gives example of this hypothesis, that some of the people who have influenced the world were the people of strong conviction, which means belief in your ideas which demands strong individuality. First name which comes to my mind is: Gandhi. He was strictly against "Tit for Tat", he said "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind". It is very easy to disregard his policy of non-violence as a policy of cowards, but ironically it requires great strength to follow it.

Much said, I have to conclude now, because I have tonnes of other work. And I believe in working rather than preaching, but keep checking I will write more because bad habits die hard. It is alright if this article sounds like impractical because it is since it is difficult to be strong.

Have fun

No comments: